Friday, July 06, 2007

Being a Good Gay (Part 1)


I would hate to define what makes a good/bad gay, but reading "And the Band Played On" made me wish that a) all gays read and b) that all gays read this seminal piece of literature. I don't think many young gays today know much about the AIDS crisis in the 80s or much about AIDS for that matter. Some would like to keep it that way, but I think much could be learned from hearing the historical narrative that Randy Shilts does such a great job recounting. Why am I retro-reviewing "And the Band Played On" you ask. I know that beig a good gay is more about primping, pounding and Prada, but reading ATBPO should be a prereq for getting your gay card.

P.S. If you want to be a not-so-bad or not-as-good gay, you can always watch the movie.

No comments: